Saturday, January 27, 2007

This is what I've been saying!

I've been hooked on Brennan Manning and didn't think I could like him anymore than I do. Then he goes and mentions Springsteen in context of religous views that I totally share. In chapter five, "Cormorants and Kittiwakes" in his book, THE RAGAMUFFIN GOSPEL, he wrote as follows:

"Grace abounds in contemporary movies, books, novels, films, and music. If God is not in the whirlwind, He may be in a Woody Allen film or a Bruce Springsteen concert. Most people understand imagery and symbol better than doctrine and dogma. Images touch hearts and awaken imaginations. One theologian suggest that Springsteen's Tunnel of Love album, in which he symbolically sings of sin, death, despair, and redemption, is more imortant for Catholics than the Pope's last visit when he spoke of morality only in doctrinal propositions. Troubadours have always been more important and influential than theologicans and bishops . . . . The gospel of grace is brutally devalued when Christians maintain that the transcendent God can only be properly honored and respected by denying the goodness and the truth and the beauty of the things of this world."

Incidently, I had no idea that this statement from Manning's 1990 publication existed when I pointed out the spiritual elements of "Two Faces" from the Tunnel of Love record in my previous post: Bible/Song Meld in May, 2006.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon Hall said...

amen.

When we went to see Springsteen last year at the Greek, I was impacted at what an amazing storyteller he is. It was one of the more powerful experiences I've had in a long time, and found myself mesmerized and in awe of our country's story, the basis of the folks tunes he re-tells in the Seeger Sessions, and at that concert. Participating in that experience live was... powerful.

The emerging generation certainly is looking more to other mediums of communicating hope and truth. I see that in myself as well, responding deeply to the incredible tools of art and poetry and music that God has handed us.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home