Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fifteen Years

As I've shared before, Chrisy and I got married on July 24, 1993. It is 15 years ago today! I know it's a cliche, but I can't believe 15 years have gone by. I still remember leaving on our honeymoon like it was yesterday. I remember how hopeful and in love I felt. I wrote the poem "Life Flight" on the plane. Today has me thinking even farther back. I remember all the memories of dating. My poem "Carousel" recounts one such memory. And, although this too is somewhat of a hackneyed phrase, I'm going to say it: I love Chrisy more today than ever! It's really true. I'm so glad Chrisy agreed to say, "I do."

This anniversary seems very special to me, not because 15 is a "biggie" either; rather, it's because of the season my marriage is in. Had you told me in 1994, 1995, 1996, indeed any of the years past, that my marriage could be this good I would not have believed you. A couple years ago I posted a song titled "Thank You For A Life" and that song certainly applies to how I feel about Chrisy Ann Lynd today. I do have so much to thank Chrisy for.

I'm not sure anybody that knows me, friends or family, really know the extent of how much Chrisy has helped me. I literally wouldn't be the man I am today without her support. She has done so many things for me that fall under the category of emotional support. For example, she spurred me on to finish college. Yes, in theory I had always "wanted" to have a graduate degree; however, I'm not certain I would have done anything about it. As much as I hate to admit it, there is a possibility that I might still be working at my father's law office, piddling around at a community college. It is amazing to me to look back and see the way Chrisy encouraged me to get my A.A., B.A., and M.A. degrees. What a journey that was. In all of my life nobody has said, "You can do it!" to me more than Chrisy.

We have had a lot of difficulties along the way, but I finally really understand what James meant when he wrote this: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4). Most of all I think I have to thank Chrisy for persevering with me and for me and for refusing to stay stagnant. When I read that verse, I actually feel mature and as I sit and reflect upon my anniversary, on my marriage, I have this thought, "I am complete. I am truly not lacking anything. Thank you God for my wife!"

Happy Anniversary my love!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Doah said...

Thank you babe. I feel the same way. You have loved and encouraged me and helped me to grow as well. I love you more everyday. Happy Anniversary.
Chrisy

7:53 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

What a great post brotha! I am thankful for your union with Chrisy. You two have blessed our lives as well. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home