Saturday, July 05, 2008

U2's Overlooked Masterpiece

There are some songs that we've heard so much we end up taking them for granted. I've been listening to U2s 1987 album, THE JOSHUA TREE, a lot lately and it's struck me just how genius, how beautiful, how meaningful their hit "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is. I honestly think it may be one of the best songs ever written. This group of lyrics in particular really have an emotional affect upon me:

"I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colours will bleed into one, bleed into one
But yes, I'm still running
You broke the bonds
You loosed the chains
You carried the cross
And my shame
And my shame
You know I believed it
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for . . . "

I can also totally relate to this line, so much so that it gives me chills:

"I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of the devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for . . . "

If it's been awhile since you've seen the clip of this hymn, then please give the video a look!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon G said...

WOW....!!! AWESOME...!!! It brought chills!!! Did I say, wow or awesome yet?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Jon Hall said...

I'd add "brilliant," but then that doesn't seem quite right. "Wow." Yep, that about does it.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...And we saw them sing it on that tour from the 6th row!! I wish I could remember more of that show. We took so much for granted. I suppose I still do.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home