Saturday, May 06, 2006

I do.


May 6, 1993 was the day I decided to spend the rest of my life with Chrisy Ann Pena. I had been thinking about it for a while and I had read "Finding the Love of Your Life" by Neil Clark Warren. I had even completed a worksheet, ranking out the things that were important to me. She was the one.

Having checked the papers, found out what time the sun was setting. I told Chrisy to meet me just south of the Huntington Beach pier at the appointed time between lifeguard stations 3 and 5. I even told her what to wear. It was a flower-patterned long flowing dress and a hat. That's my favorite style and it gave me the extra-boost to not get cold feat. Ha!

I placed four dozen red roses in a circle to make a "dance floor" in the sand. Answering the "Sinatra, Mathis, or Presley?" question from DINER, I had "When I Am With You" by Johnny Mathis playing on a boombox. As the love of my life approached I inquired, "May I have this dance?"

After the song finished I reached to the special rose that had the ring hidden in the bud. I got on my knees and asked Chrisy, "Will you marry me?"

She said, "Yes!"

That was 13 years ago today.

Looking at this photo that a perfect stranger took, I see two of the most powerful forces in the world: the ocean and love. I see two things that capivate my soul: Chrisy and the sea.

To my bride in South Africa, I'd ask you again today if I hadn't back then. This love was meant to be.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home