Saturday, June 03, 2006

CAROUSEL

"If you ever wonder why you ride the carrousel,
you do it for the stories you can tell."
--Jimmy Buffett
"Stories We Could Tell" from A-1-A (1974)


CAROUSEL

We rode that carousel because the brass
pole held secrets. The ponies themselves
told of lovers gone by. We wanted to hear
their tales. And, we knew that our own
photos would tell stories years from now.
The image would whisper of your beauty
and the desires your friend had for you
right from the beginning
I was certain we would be looking back
at this very picture. I knew there
would be children at my knee and
my bed would be your bed until the
day I drew my last breath.
When I reached for that golden ring
I was longing for you. The photograph fades
my desire's unblemished. Merry-go-round
speak.

--Shenandoah Lynd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home