Wednesday, January 02, 2008

What Light


Yesterday I posted my top 5 albums of 2007. The order doesn't matter too much, depending on my mood any of them could be number one. I wanted to comment on the one I listed as fourth though. SKY BLUE SKY by the band Wilco is such a fantastic album. That's the cover pictured above. I adore the guitar work, vocals, and songwriting. Wilco has an alt-country sound in a vein that, to my ears, traces back in a line that includes artists like The Eagles, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, and Neil Young.


Obviously, I really like the entire album, but I wanted to draw your attention to a particular song, track #11, "What Light" is a really special song. Here's a bit of the opening lyrics:


"If you feel like singing a song

And you want other people to sing along

Then just sing what you feel

Don't let anyone say it's wrong


And if you're trying to paint a picture

But you're not sure which colors belong

Just paint what you see

Don't let anyone say it's wrong"


Want to sing, want to paint, want to write, dance, worship? Then do it. Just do it and don't care what people think. That's what I get from the song. Toward the end of this hypnotic song, as part of the chorus, Jeff Tweedy keeps singing these words: "There's a light, white light, inside of you." Indeed. This song helps me find the light inside of me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

LOVE IT!!!! I'm on board :-)

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home