Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Passion of Uncle John


The poet who has most influenced my life is my uncle John Lynd. During my childhood and youth he would steer me toward art and romance.

In fact, when I was 20 years old, the Peter Weir film DEAD POETS SOCIETY was released and the very first time I saw it I immediately thought that the main character, John Keating, reminded me of John. That fictional teacher, played so well by Robin Williams, and my uncle John share the same values. Here is a quote from Keating in the movie:

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."

Uncle John might not have said those exact words to me, but there is no question that those were the values he wanted to instill in me.

I thought I would share one of my favorite poems authored by my uncle.

SELF PORTRAIT


Should the question ever be posed . . .

All I need
is my corner by the water
Let me feel the warm sun
on my back

Give me the sweet song
of a bird in Spring

Just leave me breathing
with someone to love by my side
I have so much

--John Lynd

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home