Friday, February 22, 2008

True Blue: Bible/Song Meld, part 5


"Strip it down to what you can believe in
Pass it on, what is right and true blue."
--Gary Louris

So I picked up the new album by Gary Louris when it was released just this past Tuesday. I love it! Gary Louris was the frontman, lead singer and amazing songwriter (not to mention a heck of a guitar player) for one of my all-time favorite bands, The Jayhawks. Gary's new album is called VAGABONDS and it's quite lovely. It really stirs things in the depths of my soul.

Right now, just four days into it, the song that is at the forefront of killing me in a good way is the song that opens the record. "True Blue" is the title and every time I listen to it, I find that spiritual concepts are twirling around in my head and I find myself focused on various aspects of God's word. As the song plays or, when I sing it to myself in my head throughout the day, many chunks of scripture come to my mind.

First, the song totally makes me think of what Paul wrote in his letter to the Philippians:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." --Philippians 4:8-9

Now, here is a sample from the Louris song:

"Today's the day
My branches bear their fruit
And all my labor will be rewarded
Then I awake, it's like starting over

Riches and their thorns
Rumble where they lay
Revealing sparkling secrets . . . .

Strip it down to what you can believe in
Pass it on, what is right and true blue."

The message here is to strip away everything that isn't important, to "strip it down to what you can believe in." That's an amazing premise isn't it? Think about it, the idea is that we should throw away all physical things and hold on only to something that is so intangible that it can only be a belief. That's why the line "riches and their thorns" must be in there. It's not that riches are bad in-and-of-themselves. They are not an inherent evil; rather, the pursuit of happiness through riches brings misery. That is why, in Matthew 19:23, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." He did not say it's impossible, only difficult. The reason? I believe it's because those with great material wealth have a more difficult time stripping it down to what they can believe in.

Later in the song Louris sings, "Feel fulfillment in this small corner with no possessions to create sorrow." Again, the theme of possessions vs. happiness is there. I go back to Paul's message in Philippians to think about whatever is pure. "Thinking" and "believing" are so closely linked for me that, when I hear this song, I ask myself: "Where are my thoughts today?" "Is my mind on what is right and true or is it occupied with the pursuit of things?" Possessions are empty, they bring sorrow, only that which is true (belief/faith) can bring joy.

I like how Louris writes about finding fulfillment in a small corner with no possessions.  And, it's not simply that the narrator will attempt to find fulfillment without possessions; instead, he sings that the possessions would take away from the fulfillment.  This makes me think of Paul's words in Philippians 4:11, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances," or as another translation puts it, "I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little."  That is an attitude I want to have.  I like how the album cover depicts the line "Feel fulfillment in this small corner with no possessions to create sorrow."  True happiness comes from within and thus can be found among the rusted lawn chair and dirty patio just as much as it could be found in a prison cell.

Another passage this song makes me think of is John 15:5-8.  In that verse Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches . . . . My true disciples produce much fruit."  That's what I think of when Gary's sweet voice sings, "Today's the day my branches bear their fruit and all my labor will be rewarded."

I could go on and on about this song and I could add so much more if I got into other songs on the albums.  I know Gary Louris is a "secular artist" and my interpretation of this song is probably a long way off from his original intentions when he penned it. However, good art allows people of all different walks and in many different circumstances to make it their own. That's what I've done here. I am very thankful for this terrific new album by a fantastic artist.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, polo outlet, nike air max, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, tory burch outlet, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, christian louboutin shoes, uggs outlet, jordan shoes, chanel handbags, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses wholesale, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs on sale, ugg boots, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, uggs outlet

7:49 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion jeans, nike air max, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, coach outlet, nike air force, polo ralph lauren, new balance, michael kors pas cher, timberland pas cher, sac hermes, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, nike air max uk, michael kors, michael kors, nike roshe run uk, ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, hollister pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, air max, nike air max uk, nike tn, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, guess pas cher, ray ban pas cher, jordan pas cher, nike roshe, nike free uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free run, north face, ray ban uk, polo lacoste, mulberry uk, sac vanessa bruno, lululemon canada, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, coach outlet store online, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike blazer pas cher, michael kors outlet, coach purses

7:58 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

valentino shoes, nike air max, hollister clothing, ghd hair, vans, soccer shoes, timberland boots, longchamp uk, ferragamo shoes, converse outlet, ralph lauren, nike air max, herve leger, mcm handbags, celine handbags, converse, nike roshe run, bottega veneta, jimmy choo outlet, baseball bats, chi flat iron, louboutin, vans outlet, hollister, hollister, north face outlet, new balance shoes, oakley, asics running shoes, mac cosmetics, wedding dresses, babyliss, mont blanc pens, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban, giuseppe zanotti outlet, north face outlet, lululemon, gucci, iphone 6 cases, instyler, beats by dre, reebok outlet, nfl jerseys, hermes belt, p90x workout, insanity workout, soccer jerseys

8:12 PM  
Blogger dong dong23 said...

louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
polo ralph shirts
ralph lauren outlet
adidas shoes
nike air max
louis vuitton handbags
nike air max 90
cheap jordans
ray ban sunglasses
celine
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
adidas shoes
nike uk
vans shoes outlet
jordan 13
coach outlet
ghd flat iron
coach canada
longchamp handbags
timberland boots
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike roshe flyknit
nike free run
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
true religion outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
true religion jeans
vans shoes
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton outlet stores
adidas originals
retro jordans
coach factory outlet
20166.25wengdongdong

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home