Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Child Pleases the Spirit

I just finished my second Brennan Manning book while I was on vacation. It was ABBA'S CHILD. It was not as fantastic as the first one I read, RUTHLESS TRUST, but it was great. I truly recommend it.

To really boil down ABBA'S CHILD, it's about this: There is a battle within us. We should completely identify ourselves as a child, a beloved son or daughter of the loving Abba and the beloved love of the Rabbi Jesus. What is in conflict against this child? That would be our inner-pharisee and the person in us whom Manning calls the impostor.

There is so much in this book worthy of talking about, but I wanted to share one brief passage. You must know that I read this passage right after a friend of mine left me a loving voice mail telling me how honored, proud, and lucky he was to have me as a friend. The message warmed my soul, filled the tank of this feeler, and then I read this passage from Manning. The bold print below is mine because, as I read the words on the page and I heard the words of my friend replaying in my ear, the words that I bolded below seemed bolded to me, they jumped out. Here you go:

The child spontaneously expresses emotions; the pharisee carefully represses them . . . . The issue is whether I express or repress my genuine feelings . . . . To open yourself to another person, to stop lying about your loneliness and your fears, to be honest about your affections, and to tell others how much they mean to you--this openness is the triumph of the child over the pharisee and a sign of the dynamic presence of the Holy Spirit. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom" (2 Corinthians 3:17). To ignore, repress, or dismiss our feelings is to fail to listen to the stirrings of the Spirit within our emotional life.

That's it. That passage above from Brennan Manning really moved me. Combined with a genuine expression of feelings from a friend, those words were fuel in my soul. Incidently, the friend is a remarkable man that is a member of my home church, Canyon Hills Church. He is just one of the reasons I am so thankful for the wonderful church home I have. As I think of all the remarkable, loving, self-sacrificing, and real humans that go to my church, I am overwhelmed with grattitude for my loving Abba's blessings and expressions of love. Truly, as I think of the names and faces of people at Canyon Hills that do a pretty darn great job of living out the above Manning quote, I am filled with joy and thanksgiving.



This post was written by Doah-child, pictured left, a blogger, yes, but first and foremost, the dearly beloved of the risen Nazarene Rabbi.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, polo outlet, nike air max, replica watches, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, tory burch outlet, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, christian louboutin shoes, uggs outlet, jordan shoes, chanel handbags, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses wholesale, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs on sale, ugg boots, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, uggs outlet

7:40 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion jeans, nike air max, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, coach outlet, nike air force, polo ralph lauren, new balance, michael kors pas cher, timberland pas cher, sac hermes, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, nike air max uk, michael kors, michael kors, nike roshe run uk, ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, hollister pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, air max, nike air max uk, nike tn, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, guess pas cher, ray ban pas cher, jordan pas cher, nike roshe, nike free uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free run, north face, ray ban uk, polo lacoste, mulberry uk, sac vanessa bruno, lululemon canada, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, coach outlet store online, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike blazer pas cher, michael kors outlet, coach purses

7:53 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

valentino shoes, nike air max, hollister clothing, ghd hair, vans, soccer shoes, timberland boots, longchamp uk, ferragamo shoes, converse outlet, ralph lauren, nike air max, herve leger, mcm handbags, celine handbags, converse, nike roshe run, bottega veneta, jimmy choo outlet, baseball bats, chi flat iron, louboutin, vans outlet, hollister, hollister, north face outlet, new balance shoes, oakley, asics running shoes, mac cosmetics, wedding dresses, babyliss, mont blanc pens, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban, giuseppe zanotti outlet, north face outlet, lululemon, gucci, iphone 6 cases, instyler, beats by dre, reebok outlet, nfl jerseys, hermes belt, p90x workout, insanity workout, soccer jerseys

8:06 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, michael kors outlet, michael kors handbags, moncler, replica watches, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, moncler, moncler uk, thomas sabo, doke gabbana, louis vuitton, ugg uk, montre pas cher, links of london, louis vuitton, moncler, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, michael kors outlet online, canada goose, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, doudoune moncler, canada goose, karen millen uk, barbour, louis vuitton, lancel, swarovski, moncler outlet, barbour uk, ugg pas cher, pandora uk, marc jacobs, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, canada goose uk, moncler outlet, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, hollister, moncler, ugg, toms shoes, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home