Thursday, September 11, 2008

My City of Ruins, my 9/11 post

There is no better way for me to remember the events of seven years ago than to post the above clip from Bruce Springsteen. I remember the day this aired. I remember weeping. This particular performance still gives me goosebumps. It would be about a year later that Springsteen released his masterpiece album called THE RISING on which this song appears. THE RISING came out on July 30, 2002, and I have commemorated every September 11th by listening to the album. I honestly could write a ten-thousand word essay on the album and what it means to me, how it helped me process the single most horrific event of my generation. It always makes me feel more connected to the human race every time I meet somebody who actually gets, I mean really gets, that album, how beautifully crafted it is, how the themes of love, loss, hope, and still loving, run all through it, how the image of ascension is so masterfully woven through it. Honestly, there is no way to articulate what I feel in my soul listening to it.

This morning, over breakfast, Max asked me where I was that morning seven years ago. Much to my surprise I couldn't get through the story without crying again. I feel so sorry when I think of all the sons, daughters, friends, moms, dads, heroes, children of God who lost their lives that day. Thinking of the rescue workers who risked or lost their lives that day makes me want to live better. As I write this I am filled with gratitude. I am thankful for the freedoms and privileges that I have in this greatest country ever to grace planet Earth. As I hung my American flag today I thought of the brave men and women in our military and I am so thankful for them and all those who came before them.

"Come on rise up!" indeed.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon G said...

POWERFUL

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home