Saturday, August 11, 2007

Reverie

The strangest dream,
I was a much younger man and,
oddly, the same age
as my sons.
My father was there too,
all of us the same age.
We took a road trip to Philly
to see the second coming
of the lizard king.
As we clapped,
soliciting an encore, the
scene changed.
We were in Surrey.
A pub,
I bought my boys
their first pints.
When we raised our
mugs for a toast
--a clank
Suddenly, they were
standing over my casket
weaping
They laid my sins
inside the box
and walked
away
their own men.
Backs to me now,
they exited the sanctuary.
The mirrored lid closed
and I lay staring at my
father's reflection.

--Shenandoah Lynd

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Doah said...

This is very good. Who were you thinking of when you wrote it? I love you so much.
Chrisy

3:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

You're not your dad. PERIOD!!!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home