Sunday, October 22, 2006

Salvation

The other day I posted about Elton John's Seven Great Years. So, some of you might be saying, "What does that have to do with your spirituality?" Not like I'm only allowed to post spiritual things here, but today my pastor was talking about "doing an ordinary day with God" and we have been memorizing Colossians 3:17 for three weeks: "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Thus, I'm sitting here listening to Elton John in the name of the Lord Jesus and I'm saying, "Thanks God for knitting together this singer with such a beautiful voice and for the poetry of Bernie Taupin." And, I do believe these talents came from God.

Literally, I'm making lunch for my kids and listening to HONKY CHATEAU (1972) and I wanted to share this wonderfully spiritual song off the album. It's playing now as I type this. Here it is:

SALVATION

I have to say, my friends,
this road goes a long, long way,
and if we're going to find the end
we're gonna need a helping hand.

I have to say my, friends,
we're looking for a light ahead,
In the distance a candle burns,
salvation keeps the hungry children fed.

It's gonna take a lot of salvation,
what we need are willing hands,
you must feel the sweat in your eyes,
you must understand, salvation.

A chance to put the devil down
without the fear of hell.
Salvation spreads the gospel round.
And free you from yourself.


--Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
and music by Elton John

I think that is a very insightful song and when I hear him singing about "sweat in your eyes" and salvation at the same time, I am reminded of Paul's words and his challenge to, "continue to work out your salvation" in Philippians, chapter 2.

The next song, SLAVE, has this line:

"To fight the violence we must be brave,
hold on strong
to the love God gave, slave."

Even MONA LISAS AND MAD HATTERS has these two lines:

"and I thank the Lord there's people out there like you . . . .
and I thank the Lord for the people I have found."

That's what I love about all good art, we place our own perceptions and baggage upon it and transform it into something deeply meaningful to us. There are so many spiritual overtones in much secular music. I have found that God personally has used so-called secular music to touch my soul much more than he has so-called Christian music.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home