Friday, June 23, 2006

Divorce Bites

My mom and dad did it when I was six months old. I vividly remember my step-dad's agony in dealing with his ex-wife after he married my mother. My birth-father went on to do it a couple more times that I know of. My wife's dad went through it once and her mom went through two of them. At least nine junior highers in my youth group have suffered through them. Two of my sisters have had them. Almost all of my adult friends come from broken homes. Chances are, if you haven't gone through a divorce yourself, you know of someone in your family or a close friend that has. I mean, who hasn't been affected by a divorce?

The point of this post isn't to make anybody who's been divorced feel bad. I mean that, I really mean that. In fact, I am thankful for my mom's divorce. So many blessings came out of it for me. For example, but for that, I wouldn't have received two wonderful sisters, Cami and Renay, that my mom's new husband brought into their marriage when I was seven years old. But, that's not the point either.

I have good friend going through a divorce right now and he recently started a blog called the Divorced Dudes Network. I was hoping you might check it out. Why not think of somebody you know that has been through a divorce and point them to my friend's blog? I really think that anybody who is going through a divorce or who has ever been through a divorce will benefit from the comradeship found through his posts. Better yet, maybe you know someone who has been through it, learned from it, and came out clean on the other side. That kind of person is what G-DUDE calls a "major dude" in which case, they would have something to offer to my friend and others: hope.

Heck, I read the site and I'm not even divorced. Many of his posts speak to me as well. For instance, I Will Survive from the other day mentioned the Tim McGraw song, "Live Like You Were Dying" and it got me to thinking about what I would do if I was to truly live. I posted a quick top ten on his comments. What about you, got your own list? Why not post it there at the link? Maybe you'll find yourself agreeing with G-DUDE as to why Ronald Reagan is a True Major Dude or maybe you really don't like Ronald Reagan and you want leave a comment as to why? If you're a dude, divorced or not, and I could get you to read just one of his posts it would be On Being A Man . . .

To say divorce is "hard" doesn't do it justice. Have you ever seen that documentary based on the book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston? Ralston is the climber who got stuck in Utah. Because an 800-pound boulder was on his arm, he had to hack it off with a small multi-purpose knife. It's a crazy story. Quite honestly, Ralston's story is the only analogy I can think of to tell you how tough divorce is. Talking to my friend about his divorce and how difficult it is for him not to see his two little girls on a daily basis, I can tell you that I'd rather hack off my own arm than go through it.

So here's the point. Divorce is hard. He's my friend. Read the blog. Spread the word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home