Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Letter 2020

 

 

Christmastime 2020

 

“If you carry the good news, show me
I've been looking for a sign down among us

When the poets called for gasoline
I knew my days in the kingdom were numbered…”

--Hiss Golden Messenger, “Lost Out in the Darkness”

 

Those lyrics come from the album, Hallelujah Anyhow, from 2017, but it was my most played record of the year. “Hallelujah Anyhow” somehow seemed like the best kind of rebellion for this year. “If you carry the good news, show me: I’ve been looking for a sign down among us.” Weren’t we all looking for that in 2020? Sadly, many of those who were supposed to be carrying the Good News were given to conspiracy theories and divisive, unloving actions and statements. It was painful to watch. As for “when the poets called for gasoline,” well, that line just reminds me of my Uncle John Lynd who died on May 3rd of this year. So, in the year of COVID-19, what’s good? A lot actually. For example, in the case of Uncle John, there is such a feeling of peace knowing that we had no unfinished business and that no words had been left unspoken. The night before John died, I was able to have a FaceTime call with him. It was both profound and fun, he knew it was the end, we joked, and he rested easy knowing he had done well with me. Although the loss of John leaves an immense hole in the lives of those who knew him, it is actually a very good feeling knowing that my kids, my wife, and I carry a piece of John forward with us. He was and remains my Man of La Mancha.

 

Zoey graduated from high school this year, and despite the fact that the class of 2020 had their ceremonies taken away, Chrisy and I couldn’t have been prouder of Zoey’s accomplishment, including her dedication to the El Toro Choir and Choralistics programs. Zoey is now enrolled at Irvine Valley College and working on her general education and Associate of Arts Degree, with a focus on psychology. Online learning seems to suit Zoey well, and she has had a very successful first semester.

 

Kasey is now the last of our kids to be in high school. She’s a junior now, and like most everyone else, she’s been doing distance learning from home. She continues to run cross country, and although that too has been disrupted by the pandemic, it too remains a good thing for Kasey, she’s developed some incredible relationships because of it. Another good thing about this year was that Kasey was chosen as sophomore princess at the winter formal before the pandemic hit. (See black and white photo.)

 

Max and Wes, now 24 and 22 respectively are both doing quite well too. Both are engaged in promising career paths and we are extremely proud of them both. Max is heading into his third and final year at Boston University’s physician assistant program. He seems to love it there and is doing great. Wes is still living at home with us while he finishes up his career training.

 

Speaking of home, we moved this year! It was somewhat unexpected, but we left our rental at the end of October, and moved into a much smaller house that we are actually purchasing! This too has proven to be a very good thing. We love the neighborhood and our neighbors, and it truly feels like home.

 

Adding to the good news of home are our two new puppies: Mocha and Harley! We had been using the excuse that because we’re renters we couldn’t have pets for as long as our daughters have been alive, and now that we have our own place, that argument didn’t apply. Kasey’s dog is Mocha and Zoey’s is Harley. Chrisy and I are in love with the puppies as much as the fine young women who take care of them are. We love to see the way the “girls” are stepping-up and doing such a terrific job of being responsible.

 

What else can I say about 2020? It’s certainly the year everyone wants to bid “good riddance” to. This year people have taken tremendous hits. For example, my sister, Amy, in the course of just seven months lost our uncle John, her grandma, Joy, and our brother (my stepbrother), Steven. In April, Zoey’s 17-year-old friend, Andre died in a diving/swimming incident. I could go on. How does one “spin” good out of losses this huge? What I can tell you is that I feel incredibly blessed to have a good relationship with all of my sisters. In Zoey’s case, she was able to take a road trip to Andre’s hometown of Twin Falls, Idaho, to experience some deep healing and closure. Yes, even when we are bruised, battered, and broken, light shines through the cracks.

 

Like many other people I know, on Friday, March 13, when Zoey’s and Kasey’s school closed to in-person learning, so did the school at which I work. I’m not gonna lie either, the wrenches this pandemic has thrown into both my teaching job as well as the ministry at TerraNova Church has been difficult. I found myself in strange “funks” and was grumpy and moody more times than I’d care to admit. Yet, I’m trying to focus on the good in this year. To that end, I am incredibly grateful that I have a job and have been getting paid throughout this pandemic. I am grateful to the many staff and volunteers at TerraNova who have rolled with the punches and reinvented themselves and their ministries. I am overwhelming grateful for the love and acceptance of my family. Chrisy and I “celebrated” our 27th anniversary in July by bringing in some good takeout food, and because of the stay-at-home orders and distance teaching, we’ve had an immense amount of time together this year. I’m incredibly grateful for my sobriety. I can’t even imagine what this year would have done to me if I had not been sober. How one could ever accomplish this without a higher power, I will never understand. I say that with no judgement, but, man am I thankful that I’m not actually lost out in the darkness.

 

With hope,

Doah, Chrisy, Kasey, Zoey, Wes, Max, and now Harley & Mocha too

-the Lynds-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home