Monday, February 13, 2006

Best Picture Nominations


With the Academy Awards rapidly approaching on Sunday, March 5th. I have just completed my annual tradition, okay, maybe it's more like a compulsion, to see all five of the nominees for the Best Picture Oscar. Usually, I'll rank them 1-5, in the order I think they deserve to win. This year is lackluster for me. All five of the films are good, even very good, but there's not one I am really excited about. For example, it's not like when SILENCE OF THE LAMBS had to win, or BRAVEHEART was my clear favorite, or "I'll go take a dump on the Academy's doorstep if SCHINDLER'S LIST doesn't win!"

In alphabetical order, here are the nominations this year: (1) Ang Lee's BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN; (2) Bennett Miller's CAPOTE; (3) Paul Haggis's CRASH; (4) George Clooney's GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK; and, (5) Steven Spielberg's MUNICH.

Having seen all five, if I could vote for Best Picture, I'd cast my ballot for GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. Likewise, I'd give the Best Director Oscar to George Clooney. I think his little film is beautifully shot and quite an acomplishment. For what it's worth, I've seen all the Best Actor nominees too and I would definately vote for David Strathairn for playing Edward R. Murrow in this film. These aren't my predictions, just my personal picks.

It's a weird year though because I think the other four films are just about equal for me. And, I don't think I'll ever buy any of these films on DVD so it's just kind of a so-so year, not a lot at stake here emotionally for me, just five pretty good movies.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home