Sunday, January 08, 2006

Wes

Wes Stewart Lynd. We didn't set out looking for a name to compliment his brother's; rather, we just ended up with another one syllable, three letter name. Actually, we were still going through lists of names in the hospital. Saw "Wes" in a book and liked it. I wanted "Stewart" after the actor Jimmy Stewart (see my previous post, "heroes"). Chrisy wasn't too hot on that middle name, but fate was on my side. When her doctor came into the room he said, "Okay, you've got to have this baby by 6:00 p.m. or I'll be late to my concert." Of course, I inquired, "Who're gonna see?" His answer: "Rod Stewart." Chrisy just looked at me and said, "Okay, you win, Wes Stewart it is."

Like his dad, Wes appears to get a second wind in the evening, but he never beats his brother out of bed in the morning. Every night when I tuck him into bed and pray for him, Wes likes to use this time for something he excells at: talking! Literally every night he extends his awake time by having a question and answer session. The subject? Well, the sky's the limit! For instance, most recently, out of the blue when I finished praying he asked, "Dad, what's your favorite kind of lemur?" I checked, "Lemur?" "Yes, lemur." "Well, I didn't know there was more than one kind." "Oh, yes," he says! Then he proceeds to tell me all the varieties: "There are day lemurs, night lemurs, ring-tailed lemurs . . . " and so on. When I said I didn't know the difference, he explained their appearances and eating habits to me. Another one of my favorites is when he asked me, "Do you know what chromatology is?"

Wes has a contagious laugh. Sometimes he gets laughing about something that's not even that funny, but the whole family will end up in hysterics because he laughs so hard. He likes music more than television or movies. Many times he'll leave a movie that big brother has on in the middle of it to go draw or do something else. Whereas his brother wants to watch one of dad's movies, Wes is often heard saying, "Can you burn me that CD? Can you burn me that song?" He really listens to the music I am playing in the car too. He does love all the "Star Wars" films though. He watches them over and over. His favorite books all have to do with "Star Wars" too. Like his brother, he's got a couple "Star Wars" posters hanging in his room as well. Most recently, he got a guitar poster too. Wes will spend lots of time making things. He likes to write a lot, even copy things out of books, cut things, glue things, and he routinely leaves notes for me on my desk, just wishing me a good day or saying he loves me. He's very thoughtful that way. Wes really has heart of gold, but he has a strong rebel spirit in him too. Fascinating boy. Lots of fun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Pena said...

Another great post. I am enjoying this. Wes is smart as a whip and his laugh IS contagious. You are a lucky Dad, Doah.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home